By Joel Elsenbroek, Process Improvement Director & Corporate Compliance
It’s that time of year again! Medicare Open Enrollment began on October 15 and will remain open until December 7. Whether you are enrolling for the first time or making changes to your current plan, it is essential that you review and understand all of the options that are available to ensure that you are getting the best coverage to fit your needs.
Medicare was created to help people have quality, affordable health care, but with so many different plans available (Original Medicare, the Medicare Advantage Plans, or the Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan), choosing a plan can be daunting and time-consuming if you do not know where to start. Many people often struggle to find the plan that is perfect for them and have questions about the different costs, coverage, and benefits within each. Thankfully, there are plenty of resources available to help you make the most informed decision.
Here are a few resources currently available to help you decide:
- Go to the Medicare Plan Finder website . This website will help you find plans tailored for you.
- Go to Medicare.gov or call 1-800-MEDICARE for more information about the different plans Medicare offers.
- Contact the Senior Resources of Ottawa County to schedule an appointment with a Michigan Medicare/Medicaid Assistance Program Counselor to discuss your options or receive over the phone counseling. Call toll-free 1-800-803-7174 or 231-733-3572.
- Call your insurance company to get assistance in reviewing your health and drug coverage options. Make sure you have your Medicare card, current drug plan card, and list of medications available when you call.
- Call Senior Neighbors at 616-233-0295 for free, over the phone assistance to help you choose a plan.
You should not have to worry about getting the care that you deserve. Enrolling in Medicare before December 7 is the first step to help you stay healthy and well this upcoming year.