You have several giving options available to you. You may choose a one-time gift or monthly support. Both are very much appreciated. Monthly support gives an added bonus in that it helps us better plan for what we are able to do. Some avenues may be more familiar than others, but all are tax deductible to the full extent allowed by the law, as Sunset is a charitable 501(c)3 organization.
- Checks, money orders, and cashier’s checks – are very simple ways to give. They should be made payable to Sunset. Please note what you would like your gift to support.
- Credit Cards – accepted in-house or by donating online.
- Charitable Gift Annuities* – provide a way for you to give a gift and receive a dependable income for your lifetime.
o Minimum gift: $10,000; minimum age 65.
o Single and double life charitable gift annuities and deferred charitable gift annuities are available with interest rates over 9%.
- Real estate – receive a deduction for the appraised market value, and avoid paying tax on your capital gains.
- Marketable Securities, such as stocks, bonds, or mutual funds – receive a charitable deduction for the full fair market value and avoid paying tax on any capital gains.
- 401K, 403B, and IRA accounts – maximize the value of your gift by avoiding income and estate taxes.
- Vehicle Donations – if you no longer need a vehicle, donate it to us, and you’ll receive a tax credit for the amount your vehicle sells for.
- Planned Gifts* – deliver gifts of support through:
o Financial Institution Account Beneficiary Designations
o Estate Plan Bequests (will or trust) Legal wording: “I give ________ (%, specific amount, or residue) to Sunset Legacy Foundation, a Michigan nonprofit corporation of 725 Baldwin St, Jenison, MI 49428
Once you include Sunset in your estate plan, we would be grateful that you share that information with us so we can thank you. Sunset is a member of the Barnabas Foundation & West Michigan Christian Foundation. They both provide estate planning services at no charge to our constituents. To learn more about their range of services, please click on their links. If you would like to speak with one of their representatives, we would be more than happy to help with those arrangements.
Call the Sunset Advancement Department at 616.457.2770 ext.1117 for more information.
*Denotes membership in Sunset’s Legacy Society.
Mary O’Hara Scholarship
This scholarship encourages Brookcrest nursing students enrolled in nursing school by defraying schooling costs. Mary O’Hara, a nurse herself, was a resident at Brookcrest until her home going. She firmly believed in encouraging future nurses to excellence and asked that her memorial gifts assist them in the cost of their schooling.
Giving to Resident Benevolence
Resident Benevolence enables seniors who have run out of personal funds to remain and receive the care they need. Family members, home churches, staff, and community members are asked to support this worthy cause.
Approximately $300,000 is needed each year.
- $822 per day
- 14 seniors currently receiving benevolence
- Average age is 92 and is receiving some level of care
- Their family & church help as they are led
- Many others are needed to help!
Resident Benevolence Video
Hear what volunteers, residents and board members have to say about the cause of resident benevolence.
Memorials & Honorariums
- Honorariums – honors your loved one with a gift in their name to a cause they want to support. Your loved one will be informed that a gift has been made in their honor.
- Memorials – remembers your loved one with a gift in their name. These gifts can be designated to help Sunset in general or go to a specific cause that was dear to your loved one’s heart. These gifts also are affirmations to our staff members that their care and efforts are appreciated.
Please call our Advancement Department at 616.457.2770 with questions.
Sunset Legacy Foundation
The Sunset Legacy Foundation strengthens long-term Sunset organizational health and directly impacts future programming and service growth at Sunset. The stronger the Legacy Foundation is, the more it can assist in providing for Sunset residents and clients. The foundation provides for –
- Resident Benevolence
- Programming Needs
- Capital Construction Projects
- Program Development
- Program Support
- Other Support in Furtherance of the Charitable Purposes of Sunset
A Mission Worthy Of Your Support
Our mission calls us to provide quality services to senior adults in a spirit of Christian love and we are grateful to each person that helps our mission become a reality. Please consider leaving a legacy with Sunset to support our mission, vision, and values. You will positively touch resident lives into the foreseeable future.
When you leave an estate gift, you become a member of our Legacy Society, and are entitled to all its benefits. Contact Sunset’s Advancement Department at 457.2770 ext.1117 for more information or with any questions.
The Sunset Legacy Foundation Board
- Jim Albers
- John Baatenburg
- Deb Deters
- Alden Jelsema
- Jim Krol
- Glenn Niemeyer
- Chad Tuttle
- Lori VanderSlik
- Bill Venema
- Steve Zuiderveen